Comfortupdate / stable release question

More
3 years 6 months ago #145682 by altayeb
I have noticed limesurvey has released 3 version since 18/11 (on 2/12 and on 6/12) which suppose to be stable, based on the bug tracker it seems with each release there are some major bugs.

I have checked the documentation to understand the release process (Stable vs Plus) but did not find an answer.

When do you think there will be a stable release that will last for a while?

Thanks,
The topic has been locked.
LimeSurvey Partners
More
3 years 6 months ago #145693 by holch
From what I see, limesurvey has adopted a model to release frequently. This might not be to everyone's liking (I for myself find the release cycle to quick as well), but this is how it has been for quite a while now.

If you think that 3 versions since 18/11/ is a lot, you should have been here when LS 2.5 came out first. There were daily releases and sometimes more than one release per day... Actually I found the last few weeks fairly "calm" in terms of releases.

There is the 2.06 LTS (I think now called 2.6 LTS), which only receives some bug fixes. This version get's updated far less than the newer 2.5 release...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.
More
3 years 6 months ago #145701 by altayeb
Do you mean limesurvey206plus_build160129 ??
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #145702 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Comfortupdate / stable release question
If you want to get all the last improvements on the fly: update all the time.
Else, just update on security release, or when you face a bug: and you'll be fine.

Once LS3 is out (beginning of next year), LS2.5 will became an LTS version, and we'll update it only for security fixes.

For LS3 we'll try again to imply the community to help us to test the Beta. I really hope that we'll have more people helping us this time. Also, the gap in the code between LS3 and L2.50 will be much less important than between L2.50 and LS2.6, so we should have less problems.

For now, we're modernizing deeply the application, converting procedural code to object oriented code using the Yii framework, pure SQL request to ORM, javascript grid system to CGridViews, changing all the old homemade CSS to Bootstrap, taking in account the feedbacks from the community on the forum. We apply the usual methodology of OpenSource "release early, release often". So, yes, it's a very dynamic process, sometimes it made some difficulties with users who didn't understood that process, but until now it has been globally a success: LimeSurvey 2.50 is already much more modern than 2.06, templates are responsive, and a first system giving the possibility to users to modify the code of the questions is up and working (view override).

Drupal took 8 years to release Drupal 8. Here, we're a very small team, and external coders like Denis Chenu are working extremely hard for free. If we want the process of modernizing LimeSurvey to be a success, we need those frequent releases and those frequent feedbacks from users.

About what is stable or not, it's quite a philosophical debate. Ubuntu is stable, but based on Debian unstable branch. So should we consider Ubuntu as not stable? Redhat solved this problem this way: to get access to the "most" stable version you have to pay, else, for free, you can have Fedora where the releases are more frequent and the process of feedbacks with the community more dynamic.

Here, we decided to let you choose: you can stay on 2.06lts. You can update 2.50 only when a security release is out or when you face a bug. Or, you can update 2.50 at each release, to see live how the application evolve and to give us feedbacks or feature requests.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by LouisGac.
More
3 years 6 months ago #145703 by holch
I do agree with you to certain degree when we talk about "frequent releases". But only to a certain extent. ;-)

I don't really want LS to be like Drupal and taking forever. This is the other extreme.

But I think we had a time where even users that are generally updating frequently got fed up (even with the great comfortupdate making updating sooo much easier), that I think it was counterproductive.

I was usually 3-5 updates behind, until I would find the time to update again. So any bug I found I could never be sure if it is not fixed yet. So either I had to update in that moment to check or I would just ignore the bug. So I am not sure if this helps.

I think a weekly or biweekly update scheme would still be "release early, release often". But this is of course also a question of personal preferences.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #145704 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Comfortupdate / stable release question

altayeb wrote: it seems with each release there are some major bugs.

also this statement is wrong. Most bug fixes right now are not major, they are small bugs, affecting the most advanced features of the software, or affecting specific server configurations. 90% of users will not notice them at all.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now