Adding a "no answer" option for slider questions

More
8 years 11 months ago #64771 by naitk050
I would like to have my multiple numerical input question type (with the slider option turned on) to also have a "no answer" option that is selected by default.

I would like this because right now I cannot tell if a participant skipped a slider question or actually wanted to select the lowest value. In the database the lowest value is recorded (i.e. 0) for both these situations. I would like to be able to tell the difference between the two situations (one is data and the other is missing data).

I found another post with an answer that might also work here but I need some more details. ( www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/design-issue...ot-preselected#64351 )
"This will require adding a single checkbox question after the numeric input and then using CSS to make the questions appear as one. "

If this will work for me, can you please tell me how I might use the CSS to make the question appear as one?
And can I do it for the multiple numerical question type (so there is a no answer for each slider) or is this only a viable solution to the single numerical type?

Thanks in advance for any help at all
The topic has been locked.
LimeSurvey Partners
More
8 years 11 months ago #64772 by holch
You'll probably have to apply this workaround:

docs.limesurvey.org/Workarounds%3A+Quest...stion_types_in_array

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.
More
8 years 11 months ago #64916 by naitk050
Thank you very much Holch for your suggestion but I have discovered an even easier way to achieve what I want. And the very best news is that it is already built into the functions of the slider question. You just have to fill in the settings a particular way.

Under advanced settings for the multiple numeric input question type
Use slider layout: yes
Slider starts at the middle position: yes (or no depending on your preference)
Slider minimum value: 1
Slider left/right text separator
Display slider min and max value: yes (or no depending on your preference)
Slider accuracy: .1
Slider initial value: (leave blank)
Slider maximum value: 10

Using these settings the database will leave the subquestion blank so long as the slider is never touched. Once the slider is touched the value will be recorded. You could replace the blank with a different "no answer" indicator of your choosing (e.g. 999).

I assume this will also be the same for the single numeric value questions but I have not tested it.

Hope this helps others.
More
8 years 11 months ago #64971 by holch
Great to know that!

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.
More
8 years 1 month ago #83157 by opirnia01
thank you. We also needed to know whether they'd moved the slider and not. This is perfect.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now